Top Important Incidents On This Day In History August 9

Are you searching on this day in history, August 9? And you want to know what major happened on this day in history that you do not know still now. Then you come to the right place to report 24 websites, which gives you the correct information on this day in history, August 9.

List Of Top Important Incidents On This Day In History August 9

Many remarkable incidents happened on this day in history, August 9, but we speak of four major incidents that you must know in 2021. 

Richard Nixon resigns after Gerald Ford is elected president.

On this day in history, August 09, 1974, Richard M. Nixon officially ended his term as United States president at noon on August 9, 1974, according to his resignation statement earlier that evening. 

The president enigmatically raised his arms in a victory salute as he and his family descended from the White House lawn in a helicopter. 

After that, Nixon family members returned home to San Clemente, California, closing the helicopter door. In 1973, Richard Nixon resigned from office for the first time in US history.

Vice President Gerald R. Ford swore in the 38th president of the United States in the East Room of the White House minutes later. 

In his first television address after taking the oath of office, Ford proclaimed, “My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.”

Ford had been the vice president when he replaced Spiro Agnew eight months earlier, the first president appointed rather than elected. 

Following his convictions for income tax fraud and political corruption, Agnew resigned in disgrace in a scandal independent of Nixon’s Watergate scandal. 

Richard Nixon’s pardon, given in September 1974, ended the national divisions caused by the Watergate scandal. Ford explained that he wanted to end the divisions.

You may also like: VIPBoxTV | Watch Free Live Sports Streams On VIPBox Online

Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Michael Brown is murdered.

On this day in history, August 09, 2014, Michael Brown, an unarmed Black teenager, was shot and killed by Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri, in August 2014. Ferguson and the rest of the country experienced protests and riots.

Many different stories have been told about the incident, including those of Wilson and the friend of Brown, Dorian Johnson, who was with Brown at the time. 

Although accounts differ on most details, it is generally agreed that Wilson forced Brown and Johnson to walk on the sidewalk and stopped his police SUV in front of them before confronting them. 

Wilson and Brown exchanged words through an open car window, during which he fired two shots. Wilson pursued Brown and Johnson, and when Brown turned back to face Wilson, the officer fired 12 shots, six of which hit Brown. 

As Brown charged Wilson, Wilson claimed he acted in self-defense, which Johnson denied. Wilson allegedly warned Brown that he would open fire, and Brown reportedly replied, “Don’t shoot!” before being killed.

As soon as news of 18-year-old Brown’s death reached the community, people were outraged. A long-simmering tension erupted following the shooting between police and the majority-Black community in Ferguson. 

The riots and protests with over a thousand people involved and the response by Ferguson’s heavily militarized police showed how strained racial minority relations in America were. 

In the growing Black Lives Matter movement, the very mention of Ferguson, Brown’s name, and the phrase “Hands up don’t shoot” rapidly became commonplace. 

A grand jury in November 2014 did not indict Officer Wilson, and the Justice Department decided that it would not file federal civil rights charges against him. 

In contrast, an investigation conducted by the Justice Department in 2012 found that the Ferguson Police Department routinely violated the civil rights of its African American residents.

Escape slide enables JetBlue flight attendants to quit.

On this day in history, August 09, 2010, Steven Slater resigned from JetBlue’s New York flight department dramatically on August 9, 2010. The jet came to a halt at the terminal gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport. 

As a result of the incident, Slater quickly gained a national reputation as a media hero and became a national folk hero.

Steward Slater was 38 when he was involved in Flight 1052 between Pittsburgh and New York City. The passenger allegedly became abusive toward him when the flight landed due to an argument about luggage. 

Other travelers on the aircraft reportedly challenged the slater’s description of the customer’s conduct, but what happened next was unmistakable: the flight attendant yelled at the passenger and said, “I’ve been in this industry for 20 years.”

Then we’re done. My patience has run out. His exit was deployed, so he began the slide down the emergency exit. The pilot realized he had left his bags behind, so he scrambled back up the fall to get them in time to flee down the chute again. 

As he drove home from the airport terminal, he admired the views of Queens, New York.

As soon as Slater was captured, police arrested his parents, who were both pilots. He walked out of jail the next night; nearly everyone paying $2,500 bail was a fan of him. 

He appeared on national talk shows, was given Facebook fan pages, and received offers to do reality TV programs and promote various products during his fifteen minutes of fame.

Consequently, Slater was ordered to pay restitution for damages caused by attempted criminal mischief instead of facing charges of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, and criminal trespassing. 

In exchange for a one-year deal, he agreed to undergo substance abuse and mental health counseling regularly. 

Furthermore, JetBlue required him to pay restitution of $10,000 to replace the emergency chute. A famous flight attendant was credited with the following statements by Queens District Attorney Richard Brown: 

According to Brown, Mr. Slater felt humiliated by unfortunate working conditions and was either stressed with alcohol consumption or other contributing factors. Brown also stated that he thought Slater recognized the seriousness of his actions.

Henry David Thoreau’s “Walden” is published.

On this day in history, August 09, 1854; It is a common requirement in today’s classrooms to read Henry David Thoreau’s classic Walden. Despite this, it only sold around 300 copies a year when it was published in 1854.

In his novel, the American transcendentalist writer recounts his experiment of living simply at Walden Pond in Concord, Massachusetts, for two years and two months, starting in 1845. As well as nature and politics, Thoreau’s views on philosophy and politics are explored in the book.

Walden was founded by Thoreau when he was 27 years old, having graduated from Harvard. This cabin, measuring ten by fifteen feet, was built on land owned by his friend, poet Ralph Waldo Emerson, along the shore of the 62-acre pond.

“I wished to live deliberately, to confront only the essential facts of life, to discover what it could teach me, and not to discover when I died that I had not lived,” he wrote.

He earned every penny he had by working himself. A farmer, Thoreau, ate and sold his crop. He also made frequent trips into town (to see his mother, who lived nearby) and entertained visitors. His crops included beans, potatoes, corn, peas, and turnips.

There were 2,000 copies printed, priced at $1 each, and sold out in five years. Per Thoreau’s request, it was shortened to Walden, one of only two books Thoreau published (though he wrote numerous essays, such as “Civil Disobedience”). 

The book he wrote to memorialize his late brother John during his time at Walden was also released in 1849 as a week-long memoir.


I hope you like our article about a list of top important incidents on this day in history, August 9; if you know any additional information on this day in history, August 9, mention those in the comment section.

Leave a Comment